2010/11/30

You'll Never Walk Alone, but 47 Percent of Military Families want their men back home!

Amputations among those serving in Afghanistan are "skyrocketing". Through September 23 of this year, 77 service members in Afghanistan had to have an extremity cut off, usually because of a mine explosion, planted by those who want us out of THEIR country. It is my considered opinion that those who sent our men (and women) over there, are safely in their fat government jobs somewhere in Washington, surrounded by heavily armed body-guards. I know a little about mines, from the time I served as Advisory Team Leader to a Vietnamese Battalion near Trung Lap, in the heart of the "Iron Triangle" of Vietnam. There was a dirt road from Trung Lap toward the paved highway leading to the American 25th Infantry Division. Once a week, I had to load my cargo of rats into my jeep trailer, and bring them to the American Surgeon in the 25th Division. He would gas most of these, and have his medics comb their fur for flees, so that his team could control any outbreaks of bubonic plague in my area. Before I began my lonely journey, I would drink at least a six-pack of American beer, so that I would not feel the pain of a mine explosion. The Vietcong would lay their mines in the middle of my road, have a few of their water-buffalo defecate on them, and then spike the feces with nails, which would trigger the mine detectors of the American mine clearing team. Fortunately, I returned from Vietnam with all of my limbs, but I also worked with an American Infantry unit in a nearby village, where we were inserted by helicopters. Just before we exited the open doors, I noticed little green trip-wires near our entry. The American Lieutenant was rearing to go, but I grabbed him in the back of his fatigues, with the words: Do you remember the song: "You'll never walk alone? Well, if you or your men start rushing out of this helicopter without me, I am here to tell you, that you and your men will definitely be walking alone." The good news was that they saw the sense of my warning, and followed closely in my footsteps.

No comments: