2011/06/17

Cynthia McKinney: More NATO "Humanitarian Intervention!"

Since coming to Tripoli to see first hand the consequences of the NATO military operations, it has become clear to me that despite the ongoing silence of the international press on the ground here in Libya, there is clear evidence that civilian targets have been hit, and Libyan civilians injured and killed. This Tuesday morning I was taken from my hotel across the city, through its bustling traffic to the Al Fateh University. On 9 June, Dean Ali Mansur was outside in the parking lot. The sky was blue, like in Carolina. The clouds were white-no chem-trails in sight. Puffy and white. Dean Ali Mansur was visibly upset. It seems that some of the young men at Al Fateh University, Campus B were fighting over girls. He explained to me that Libyans are hot-blooded. With a gleam in his eye, he whispered to me that girls are important to young men. Yes, that was clearly evident today as I approached the campus of Al Fateh University, Campus B, formerly known as Nasser University. Under the trees, throughout the lawn, as we approached the campus gates, I could see young men and women talking to each other, talking on cell phones. Walking to and fro, assembled, probably talking about the latest campus news -whatever that might be. Today, on the Al Fateh campus, life was teeming. Student life seemed vibrant. The feel of ambiance of this university was not unlike the hundreds of other universities that I have visited in the US and around the world: Libyan boys and girls are like ours. My son would easily fit into the life of this university!

No comments: