2013/03/27

Valerie Tarico: How Some Organized Religion Leads

to mental health problems. At age sixteen, I began, what would be a four year struggle with bulimia. When the symptoms started, I turned in desperation to adults, who knew more than I did, about how to stop shameful behavior, my Bible study leader, and a visiting youth minister. If you ask anything in faith, believing, they said. It will be done. I knew they were quoting the Word of God. We prayed together, and I went home, confident that God had heard my prayers, but my horrible compulsions didn't go away. By the fall of my sophomore year in college, I was desperate and depressed enough, that I made a suicide attempt. The problem wasn't just the bulimia. I was convinced by then, that I was a complete spiritual failure. My college counseling department had offered to get me real help, which they later did. But to my mind, at that point, such help couldn't fix the core problem. I was a failure in the eyes of God. It would be years, before I understood, that my ability to heal bulimia through the mechanisms offered by biblical Christianity, was not a function of my own spiritual deficiency, but deficiencies in Evangelical religion itself. Dr. Marlene Winell is a human development consultant in the San Francisco Area. She is also the daughter of Pentecostal missionaries. This combination has given her work an unusual focus. For the past twenty years, she has counseled men and women in recovery from various forms of fundamentalist religion, including the Assemblies of God denomination, in which she was raised. Winell is the author of Leaving the Fold, A Guide for Former Fundamentalists and Others Leaving their Religion, written during her years of private practice in psychology. Over the years, Winell has provided assistance to clients, whose religious experiences were even more damaging than mine. Some of them are people, whose psychological symptoms weren't just exacerbated by their religion, but actually caused by it. Two years ago, Winell made waves, by formally labeling what she calls Religious Trauma Syndrome, (RTS) and beginning to write and speak on the subject for professional audiences. When the British Association of Behavioral and Cognitive Psychologists published a series of articles on the topic, members of a Christian counseling association protested what they called excessive attention to a relatively niche topic. One commenter said. "A religion, faith or book cannot be abused, but the people interpreting can make anything abusive."
   

No comments: