2010/07/20

Herman Goering: "Why, of course, the PEOPLE Don't Want War"

Why would some poor slob in America want to risk his life in a war, when the best he can get out of it is to come back to his (non-existent) job in one piece? Actually, I have to paraphrase Goering here, because we no longer have a farm culture, but one based on shipping our industrial jobs to an impoverished nation where the cost of labor is much lower than here, in the United States. Please check http://www.icasualties.org/oef/ to understand the REAL cost of our wars in Afghanistan and Iraq to those who joined our Armed Forces in desperation, because they could no longer find a decent job in our United States. It looks as though 2009 was the year in which our troops suffered the highest number of casualties (521), but it looks as though there is still hope for this year, since our tragic tally so far is already up to 380. Actually, our US Tally was only 244 this year -so far- since the UK came in at 77, and other countries suffered 59. Behind these numbers is a grieving family, who will no longer see the soldier whom they sent to war, yet who managed a smile before his departure, assuring them he would be 'careful'. Before I left for Vietnam, to serve as Advisory Team Leader, my father pulled me aside to a room in our house, where my mother could not hear our conversation: During his stern lecture, he reiterated his distaste for our nation's leaders that took me away from our family. Then, he advised me sternly: "When I was forced to serve in the NAZI army, I had a lot of political arguments with my officers, but they always volunteered for the most dangerous missions, saving the lives of their men by risking their own. If you can not live up to their high standards, I don't want you to return to this house." After I survived the many ambushes in the "Iron Triangle" of Vietnam, I was proud to report to my father: "Mission Accomplished, all of my men returned safely to our United States." That was the last time I saw my stern father smile, before his untimely death a few years ago!

No comments: