2011/05/30

David Swanson: Our New Iraq-Afghanistan War Holiday!

Wow! The "President" will be designating a national day of "honor" to celebrate members of the Armed Forces, who are returning from deployment in support of Iraq, Afghanistan, and "other" combat areas. Though Obama's rhetoric is catchy, it really does nothing to ease the pain of loved ones killed and wounded in combat areas: When I served in Vietnam, first as S-5 of the 1/10 Cav Squadron in the Central Highlands, then as Advisory Team Leader in a tiny backwater north of Kontum, and finally with the same "MOS" in Trung Lap, in the heart of the Iron Triangle, I had to witness a few situations that I would just as soon forget! North of Kontum, we listened attentively on our team radio, while Dak To was being overrun by North Vietnamese soldiers, and the torment of that team's agony still lingers in my mind. Since Dak To was in desperate straits, and their medics had to perform miracles to keep at least a few men alive, I volunteered to provide security next to my compound for the medic helicopter who needed a small respite, so that they could survive until they could practice their magic for the dead and dying, only a few kilometers north of us. Before my assignment to Tri Dau, just north of Kontum, I had a few words with the Chaplain of our 1/10 Cav Squadron, asking him to carry a rifle while he gave "last rites" to the dead and dying in our unit: His answer stunned me: Though I appreciate your concern, there is no need for that precaution. In the past, I have always grabbed the weapons of the dead and dying, and protected these men while I gave them "last rites". Mr. President, there is no honor among thieves, and the best you can do for this country is to stop our wars before more Americans, and our Allies are killed needlessly!

No comments: