2011/06/03

Dahlia Wasfi: We Are The Terrorists!

We, the United States, have an obligation to every last victim of our illegal aggression, because of all the carnage which has been done in our name. Since World War II, 90% of the casualties of war were unarmed civilians, and at least 1/3 of them were children. Our victims have done nothing to us. I still remember our family's hasty flight from our home in Breslau, Germany, (now Wroclaw, Poland, which had been overrun by the victorious Soviet Army). On our way to Dresden, the man whose responsibility it was to bring us to Dresden stopped in the middle of a dark forest, and shut down our boilers, in order to avoid the attention of American fighter planes. His assistant ran outside of our train to notify us, when it might be possible to start our boilers again. After we arrived safely in Dresden, we were greeted by Red Cross nurses, who served us delicious noodle soup. I still remember a few kind faces, who looked inside my baby carriage, at a small child who had not yet been used to the horrors of war. Since Dresden was overcrowded with refugees, the city administration forced us to stay in a large farm house, on a hill overlooking a now burning city. Since our family had just celebrated Christmas in Breslau, I began singing "Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht" (Silent Night, Holy Night), while my mother and Grandmother wept uncontrollably! Much later, when I served as Advisory Team Leader near Trung Lap, Vietnam, my team and I were advised by our Vietnamese friends that a Vietcong patrol was hidden in large barrels in a small river. I saw a colorful fruit growing from a tree barely touching the barrel, to which my Vietnamese Interpreter commented: "This fruit, VC eat" Since I was still upset by the shabby treatment by American pilots near Dresden, I decided to keep the VC hiding place to myself, and give our troublesome enemy a fair chance of surviving their war. Getting back to Dahlia Wasfi's comments "We Are The Terrorists", I know that she is right, and I want no part of any atrocity, especially against innocent civilians!

No comments: